Sender:
From:
Like a hound on a hambone 27-Feb-1991 1548 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 91 20:25:16 PST
	A word or two on last nights playoff game at Brown's Meehan Areana
	between Brown and Yale -

	This was a playoff game from start to finish. Three (or four) goals
	would be scored - one even strength, one on a power-play and the third
	shorthanded.  Brown came out and stormed the Yale net for close to
	the first 5 minutes of the game.  Letourneau, in net for Yale,
	stonewalled the Bear attack and Yale rebounded to feed Brown some of
	it's own medicine for the last half of the first period but Brown
	goalie, Finch, was equal to the task.  The best chance was a Yale
	shot that broke through Finch's pads and was just cleared by the
	Brown defense before it rolled into the net. Score after the first
	period, 0-0.

	In the second period, the up and down action continued as both teams
	had good chances all stymied by great goaltending.  The Elis finally
	broke on top as Bowse took a feed from Gruber and walked out from
	the boards before lifting a shot off the crossbar at 09:11.  Brown
	came right back at 03:48 with a power play goal by Hanley.  Yale
	appeared to score again but the goal was called back by McDonough
	who said the puck was batted down with a high stick.  IMO - it was
	a goal, the puck was batted down with a stick but the stick was never
	above anyone's shoulder - a moot point since Yale won anyway, but
	this could have been a critical call.  Score at the end of 2, 1-1.

	The third period, no let up here on either side.  Both goalers again
	seemed unbeatable until 08:06 with Brown on one of what seemed to me
	like too many power plays, Blaser and Ferguson of Yale combined to
	steal the puck at center ice and Ferguson broke away on Finch, beating
	him with a low shot to the stick side for a shorthanded goal.  Brown
	attacked fiercely but couldn't get the equalizer as Yale held on for
	a 2-1 victory.  Final saves, Finch - 28, Letourneau - 23.

	I want to congratulate the Brown team on their Ivy League Championship
	and commend them for a fine season.  Last night's game, as the two
	previous games between these teams, could have gone either way with
	both teams skating well.

	I have to put in a word here about SOME of the Brown spectators - whom
	I find it hard to call fans.  Where did these people come from?
	Did they fail to take the exit off I-95 to Foxboro Stadium and instead
	of end-zone seats at a Patriots	game ended up at Meehan?  This topic
	has been discussed in this forum before, but I have to comment on the
	vulgar, mindless, and obnoxious "cheers" heard at the game last night.
	I sat next to a Brown fan and his young son who after the second
	period actually felt obligated to apologize to me for the behavior of
	these so-called fans.  Who wants to bring their family to a college
	hockey game and be subjected to this kind of X-rated and down-right
	vicious slander?  I don't call this kind of behavior "supporting the
	home team".  In fact, in talking to some of the Brown players after
	the game even they said it was embarassing.  A few of these "fans"
	continued their classless act for a few minutes after the game had
	ended, even as players from both teams shook hands and lingered on
	the ice speaking to friends and former teammates now on the opposite
	team.  The game was over - life continued, but some people never
	grow up.

	Look out Clarkson - Yale is on a roll! (two in a row!!! 8-))
	Go dogs!!!  /walt