Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 91 22:52:57 EST
Jeremy Hall writes:
>What on earth is the "split third period".  From kap's posting, it sounds as
>if play is just suddenly stopped at the ten-minute mark, and the teams switch
>ends.  Can this be done at any time, or only in the third?  And can only the
>visiting team call for this?  Any details on this would be appreciated.

    At BC's spanking new $35 million dollar rink, they decided to build
    an inherent advantage to the home team.  For two of the three periods,
    the home team has its bench located within its own end of the ice, while
    the visitors have to skate to almost the middle of the ice to reach
    their bench.  This is particularly a disadvantage if you are the visitors
    and might want to pull your goalie.  (The benches are on opposite sides
    of the ice, almost directly opposite each other.)  NCAA rules permit a
    coach to request that the third period be played in halves whenever there
    is a structural disadvantage - in other words, you can't do it just because
    you don't like the loud fans down one end chanting, "SIEVE!".  This request
    must be made to the referee prior to the start of the third period.  I
    believe either team can call for it.

    BTW if the visitor calls for this, it ends up being a disadvantage for BC
    because THEY end up having to skate farther to their bench in the final
    ten minutes.  This is not only a disadvantage when pulling the goalie but
    also on changes.

    I wonder if this was done to maintain the BC tradition of doing things of
    this sort.  At the old McHugh Forum, the lighting down one end was very dim
    and so many coaches opted to switch ends in the third period there too.

    - mike

    p.s. just stopped in to let people know BU beat Merrimack 7-1 tonight,
         details tomorrow.  Northeastern will play Maine or BU in the semis.