Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 91 11:22:52 EST
Dan writes:
>As long as everybody is talking about him, I thought I'd get my two cents in.
>Piotrowski was the referee in 1989 championship game between Minnesota and
>Harvard, and I was satisfied with his performance.

    If I remember correctly, that was one of those games where the referee
    let the teams play.  The result was a wide open, exciting game.  BTW,
    Piotrowski did the UND-BU series last year, and here's what I had to
    say about him then:

mm       Date:  Monday, March 19, 1990   4:56:32 pm (EST)
mm
mm        Referee: Steve Piotrowski
mm
mm     Overall, they were slightly above average compared to the typical
mm     HE official.  Piotrowski called most of what went on, especially
mm     in the first game, but he often sent two guys to the box when he
mm     only saw one guy do something.  However, he also wasn't afraid to
mm     call penalties near the end of the game, and I respect that in a
mm     referee.  He did an excellent job of preventing what was a violent
mm     series from getting out of hand.

>Some time ago I believe Carol White said that he officiated last season's
>NCAA playoff games between Minnesota and Clarkson.  But I think the referee
>for that series was somebody named Cole (don't know the first name) and believe
>that he is a Hockey East referee--HE and ECAC people correct me on this if I am
>wrong.  In any case, it was the worst officiating I have EVER seen in my 24+
>years on this oblate spheroid orbiting the sun.

    Frank Cole is the man you speak of, and he is indeed from HE.  Inconsistency
    is his claim to fame, and while I don't know if he is the worst - sounds
    like you've never seen Pierre :-) - I wouldn't rank him among HE's very
    best.

    - mike