Sender:
From:
Christopher Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 09:47:44 PDT
Dick writes:

>Apparently Brian Cavanaugh's
>contention that NESCAC is about to pull out of the ECAC
>East is very real.I have it from a very reliable source in Storrs that
>there will be a meeting of the Division I no-scholarship schools and the
>Division II schools in mid November to discuss what to do if
>that happens.   A new league is very possible.   What happens to New >England
College and North Adams,  etc., under that scenario
>is a real problem.   None of the former schools wants
>to leave anyone out in the cold.

Perhaps the remaining D-III non-NESCAC schools could combine
with the ECAC West to form a true D-III ECAC conference. After
the SUNYs pulled out of ECAC West, Hamilton went ECAC East
and St. Bonas went club, the West has only 6 teams left.

Things could look like this:
NESCAC (all former ECAC East unless specified):
Amherst
Bowdoin
Colby
Conn. College
Hamilton
Middlebury
Trinity
Tufts (Central)
Wesleyan (South)
Williams

ECAC "A" (Upper-tier D-I/II)
AIC (East)
Canisius (West)
Holy Cross (East)
Mercyhurst (West)
St. Anselm (East)
UConn (East)

ECAC "B" (Upper-tier D-III)
Babson (East)
Elmira (West)
Hobart (West)
New England(East)
North Adams (East)
Norwich (East)
RIT (West)
Salem State (East)
Scranton (West)
UMass-Boston (East)

ECAC "C" (lower-tier D-I/II)
Assumption (Central)
Bentley (Central)
Fairfield (South)
New Hampshire College (Central)
Quinnipiac (South)
St. Michael's (Central)
Stonehill (Central)
Villanova (South)

ECAC "D" (lower-tier D-III)
Curry (North)
Fitchburg (North)
Framingham State (North)
Iona (South)
Nichols (North)
Plymouth State (North)
Roger Williams (North)
Southern Maine (North)
UMass-Dartmouth (South)
Skidmore (South)
Suffolk (Central)
Wentworth (South)
Western New England College (North)
Worcester State (North)

SUNYAC:
Brockport State
Buffalo State
Cortland State
Fredonia State
Geneseo State
Oswego State
Plattsburgh State
Potsdam State

This would be better than the current structure, but travel could be a problem.
Note that I broke the non-NESCAC, non-SUNYAC teams
into 2 tiers to reflect the fairly large talent gap that exists between
the ECAC East/West and the ECAC North/Central/South.

Anyway, a nice lunchtime diversion....

Chris Lerch
Xerox
RIt '84 & '91