Sender:
From:
Steve Kapetanakis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1993 10:07:07 EST
During last Wednesday's Northeastern - Providence game an icing
situation was waived off and I'm not exactly sure why.  Here's
the situation:

Less than a minute left with PC up 3-2, NU has pulled it's goalie.
A Providence player shoots the puck the length of the ice toward
the empty net, but is an inch wide.  The puck passes thru the
crease.  HockeyEast referee Steve McBride signals icing.  The
Providence coaching staff is screaming that the puck went thru the
crease, and in doing, icing should have been waived off.  McBride
told them, and I was sitting directly behind the bench and heard
this first hand, "that's only in the NHL"

Now I'm not sure if there's some exception to the rule in college
if there is an empty net.  I'm sure I've seen icing waived off in
the past because the puck went thru the crease.

Dazed and Confused.

-kap

Steve Kapetanakis                             Phone: 508-453-5310 x243
Software Engineer
Aries Technology                              Email: [log in to unmask]