Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 90 17:25:06 EST
Jon Kotraba writes:
>Should the Clarkson get priority over Colgate students?  Remember how small
>that building is.  It would be interesting to know what ECAC School has the
>smallest facility.

Right now, Clarkson does -- Walker Arena seats 1800.  Starr Rink's current
capacity of 2173 (according to my media guide) makes it the third-smallest
ECAC rink, behind Walker and Princeton's Baker Rink (2092).  I understand
that Clarkson's new arena will have a somewhat larger capacity.

By the way, the capacity of Starr Rink last year was listed at 2585. If this
is accurate, it means they've removed some 400 seats.  So the 100 seats no
longer available to the opposing fans would be in addition to 300 seats that
are no longer available for Colgate fans.  Regardless, Jon brings up a good
point.  Part of Colgate's success at home over the years can be attributed to
their fans always packing that rink for games.  From Colgate's point of
view, it makes a lot of sense to eliminate tickets for the opposition before
starting in on their own (very supportive) fans.  Now if there are ECAC or
NCAA rules against closing out opposing fans or bands, that's another matter
entirely.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"But weightlifting misses the whole point.  It amazes me that no one has ever
 figured this out.  A man can make any part of his body HUGE -- except one.
 And that, by contrast, looks smaller."
-- Larry Miller