Sender:
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:47:37 -0600
The USAFA Hockey Banquet was held in Colorado Springs earlier today.

    Offensive Player of the month
    	october-november - jacques lamoureau
	december-january - jacques lamoureau
	february-march   - matt fairchild
    Defensive Player of the month
    	october-november - andrew volkening
	december-january - greg flynn
	february-march   - andrew volkening

    Offensive Player of the year - jacques lamoureau
    Defensive Player of the year - andrew volkening

strength and conditioning award
	greg flynn

Top seven awards
    Jim Bowman Award (scholar athlete)
	Michael Phillipich
    Most improved player (selected by teammates)
	Kevin Wright
    John Matchefts Award (fourth classman of the year) (selected by teammates)
	presented by Officer Representative mike van valkenberg to Scott Mathis
    Larry Cronk Award  (most inspirational) (selected by teammates)
	presented by Larry's son Scott to Greg Flynn
    Defensive Player of the year
	presented by Athletics Director Hans Mueh to Greg Flynn
    Chuck Delich Award (mvp) (selected by teammates)
	Presentd by Chuck's son Phil to Andrew Volkening
    Vic Heyliger Award (dedication,  character, leadership, work ethic)
	Presented by Commandant of Cadets Sam Cox to Michael Phillipich

Next Year's Captains
	Jeff Hajner
	Brett Nylander
Next Year's Assistant Captains
	Matt Fairchild
	Jacques Lamoureau
Next Year's Unofficial Member of the Leadership Group (since goalies
can't be captains)
	Andrew Volkening

It was announced that former player and team physician Eric Nelson
(1990-91) would be leaving the military to enter private practice.

Approximate quips (i am not a reporter and i didn't have a tape
recorder, so these may not be verbatim)

        When a reporter in bridgeport asked me if i thought AF could
        beat Michigan that afternoon, i told him we won over 25 games
        so far this year, we beat CC when they were a top 3 team, last
        year we beat DU when they were a top 4 team, We led Minnesota
        in the regional, we tied minnesota on their home ice, we took
	miami to overtime in the regional, we won our league
	tournament 3 years in a row, you're [ expletive deleted ]
	right i think we can beat michigan

        we have good players combine their efforts to be a great team
        while some opponents have great players who combine their
	efforts to be a good team

        [ talking about team chemistry and selflessness ] there are
        things people don't know about this team. I'm going to let
        this one out. Matt fairchild was named the MVP of the AHA
        tournament. In the locker room after the game, he gave the
        trophy to volks.

	you can buy anything at wal-mart except experience

	two years ago when picking a design for the AHA championship
	ring, I was i was torn between two designs. A player came in
	and i asked him which one he liked and the respons was that it
	didn't matter cuz we could choose the other desing next year.

	I played against this kids dad and he was a huge pain in the
        [ vernacular for rear end ]. not only could he score on me, but
        he'd ride me about it the rest of the game [ note i
        immediately thought of the slap shot scene leading to the
        hanrahan - dunlap fight ] and I though that if his kid was
        anything like his dad was, i wanted this kid on my team

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon   | charlie shub                (719) 255-3492
 \ /  Campaign Against | [log in to unmask]        (mobile) 761-8778
  X    HTML in e-mail  | http://cs.uccs.edu/~cdash   (fax) 255-3369
 / \      and news     | University of Colorado at Colorado Springs