Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 08:47:27 -0400
7bit
From:
Mary Beth MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
 The NCAA wants to keep the same start times used in Denver for the
Washington, DC hosted 2009 Frozen Four.  As 2009 represents the first time
in 5 years the tournament will be on the East coast, the start times would
be 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

Instead, we're pushing for the 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 starts we usually had
before the NCAA gave into ESPN.  We need your help.

The NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Committee meets June 6-7 in
Indianapolis and will decide the times they recommend to ESPN at that
meeting.  Please if you feel as strongly about going back to the original
start times used from St. Paul and previously, send an email to the Men's
Division 1 Committee and Regional Committee.  I included the link to all
their contact information including email
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/champadmin/ice_hockey/DI_Men/RACforWeb.pdf?O
bjectID=50920&ViewMode=0&PreviewState=0

In your email, I encourage you to describe how many Frozen Four's you
attended and your strong preference for afternoon/evening
sessions...especially in a city like Washington, DC with so much to do
between games.

In return, we're trying to put more Priority people in the lower bowl, so
that the stands look full with the different jerseys instead of Local
Organizing Committees who might show up later.

We obviously think keeping 6-9 p.m. start times remains a bad idea for many
reasons including the following:

1995 Providence -- Maine vs Michigan 1st Semifinal 3OT
Hockey-L banquet drew more on Thursday than Saturday sessions
People want 1-2 hours to eat, drink, go back to hotel, get kids a nap,
etc...
2nd Semi Final will not End until after Midnight
TV Ratings not really any better with 6:00 pm Start vs. 2:00 p.m.
2:00 p.m. EST start will yield lunch hours in 3 different time zones -- more
sports bar eyeballs.
Trapped like Rats in a Facility with Nothing to Do for 1 hour
Frozen Four is a Family Event -- No Kid should be up past midnight watching
a game

Thanks so much for your help here, Hockey-L.  We cannot guarantee we'll win,
but as famous Navy legend John Paul Jones (Who's casket sits always guarded
under the Naval Academy Chapel) said, "Surrender?  I have not begun to
fight!"

John MacKinnon