Sender:
From:
Richard Edward Vehlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1992 18:39:28 -0500
I've attended RPI games for 4.5 years now, keeping score in the first 3 years
at every game, but still paying attention recently to goings on. In terms of
penalties, I've seen RPI get more penalties than the opponent in most games I've
seen. Yes, there are cheap shots, but I've always seen the other team make as
many as RPI, if not frequently more. Why don't they get called? Is there some
sort of anti-RPI bias or something? Or is it plain ref blindness?

      Has there ever been a case where the ref issued a bench penalty to the
team whose fans offend him? Ivan Moore got a misconduct recently for saying
something. Belanger was the ref at the SLU-RPI game, and he was about to
have a faceoff when he looked at Moore, who was at the ready nearby to accept
the puck, then immediately whistled the penalty. I was sitting at most about
twenty feet away, and didn't even see Moore's lips move.

      Could someone tell me- what did Ivan Moore say?

      Now if Belanger could throw Moore in the box like that, could he exercise
action against the fans or the home team for being verbally thrashed by a
 half-dozen
fans, myself included, as he left the rink after that period?

      Let us now consider the RPI Engineers as a team. If they in fact have a
reputation for being cheap-shot happy, where did they get this characteristic
from? Coaching policy? Individual player backgrounds? If the latter is true,
why aren't the other teams in the league then as rough-and-tumble as RPI?
My belief is still that they are rougher than the Engineers mostly, but get
away with more.

       Which leads me to conclude that the refs aren't seeing or calling
everything equally, according to infractions committed.

Richard E Vehlow
RPI '91, '93
vehlor2rpi.edu

IN 1988, it was "Damn British Judge!"