Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1992 14:37:21 EST
J.S.H Forsyth wrote ..
>  What's up with the NC$$ ??  UMaine wins HockeyEast and stands ready to claim
>the best single-season league record ever;and needs just 4 more wins for yet
(etc)

I've as much school spirit as the next guy, John, but I think Maine is
ranked just about right.  Maine has played an easy schedule this year,
by far the easiest of the consensus top teams.  Maine has generally
played well, sometimes extremely well, but then so have other teams
against what has on the average been stronger opponents.

Let's see how Maine does this weekend against BC and in Hockeyfest.

Maine teams have been ranked #1 before, but have not been able to claim
a national championship.  I think this team has the *potential* to be
better than my all-time favorite Maine team of 1988-1989, but it will
take some luck and a lot of dedication and hard work to make it ...
there are lots of stumbling blocks along the way.

Finally, Garth Snow is a good goalie, maybe even very good and probably
the best of Hockey East (Dunham has played too little to be considered.
Others have been great on occasion, but (it sounds like) have had less
consistancy).  My top 3 off the Maine team as H-B candidates: (1)
Pellerin (2) Montgomery (3) Roy.  All three have the numbers and are
fine gentlemen;  Scott Pellerin has also provided the leadership a team
needs have a chance to go all the way.

Wayne Smith
(this space for rent)
BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine