Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1992 15:29:07 EST
FROM:  Shawn Walsh

RE:  College Hockey Computer Rating

I guess the best way to put in perspective the skewedness of the College
Hockey Computer Rating is the fact that in the most recent rating
(2/15/92) eight of the CCHA teams are in the top twenty in the nation!
As well, eight of the WCHA are in the top twenty-two in the nation!
With all due respect to Miami, Illinois, Bowling Green, Ferris State,
Colorado College, St.  Cloud, etc., it is hard to consider them better
than New Hampshire, Clarkson, and some of the other teams they are ahead
of.  Because of the skewedness of the strength of schedule, then
supposedly eight of the very best 20 programs in the United States this
year are located in the CCHA.  We certainly can't justify this because
the CCHA doesn't even have a winning record against HOCKEY EAST, but
somehow this rating system has set this up.

Wayne, this disappoints me because publications like the Hockey News and
some other publications are taking the College Hockey Computer Rating as
gospel and obviously it is skewed. ..