Sender:
From:
Brian Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 20:00:52 -0500
I made it down to Troy for the RPI-Clarkson game (my first
ever trip to the Fieldhouse). I've been to very few games
where the score was so unreflective of the run of play.
I wonder what the shot total was. I heard that it was
something like 26-8 for Clarkson after two periods. The
game was decided by the fact that Clarkson wasted almost
all of the dozens of great chances they had and RPI converted
on most of the relatively few chances they had.

RPI's goalie Prekovski (sp?) was excellent, but also RPI's defense
did a fine job not letting Clarkson players camp out in front of
the net. Therefore, while Prekovski allowed many rebounds,
there was never a Golden Knight there to convert. On the other
hand, RPI didn't get many chances, but when they did, they
were good chances and they converted. Of the first 4 goals,
if my memory serves correct, 3 were 2-on-1 or 3-on-2's and
the other was a flat breakaway. Murphy had little chance on
the odd man rushes, naturally.

RPI was fairly horrible up until mid-way through the second
period. Clarkson, then up 1-0, got a 5 minute power play on a hitting
frm behind call (about a minute or so was 5-n-3) but Clarkson
could only manage a single goal. I knew the 2-0 lead was precarious
because in a situation like that, tfor the other team, a snigle
goal can open the floodgates. That was certainly the case here.

BRI

--
(Saa) Brian Farenell      Returned Peace Corps Volunteer -- Guinea '95-97
Glens Falls, NY       Hey Congress: support the UN & int'l development aid.