Sender:
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 11:44:30 EST
I was going to respond yesterday, but thought I'd wait a day lest I
say something I'd regret.
It may seem that Trav is getting more funding, more publicity
and more support than others in his situation, but that is
how our society reacts: When a high-profile person does anything
we stand up and take notice.

To read that his pockets are jingling was very hard.  I assure you
that Trav would trade every dime he's ever had, and every dime he'll
ever have, to be able to lace up his skates two weeks from tonight.

If there is anything positive about what has happened, it is that
people are now aware of the statistics, the need for treatment,
the need for research and the effects being paralyzed has on
a person, a family and a community much more than they ever
were before.
And, most importantly perhaps, is that Travis, along with
Christopher Reeve, will be a beacon as a spokesman for the
people who have suffered from spinal cord injuries.  With the
attention they have received, more money than ever will be
flowing to places like the Shepard Center to help all people
who suffer from these injuries.

As far as this no longer being a hockey issue, I believe former
Mariner coach Tom McVie said it best:  "Travis is a member
of the hockey family, and once you are a member of that family
you are always a member of that family."  Travis' story is
forever a hockey issue.

During his statement Travis thanked everyone in the hockey family
for supporting him throughout.  The support he has received from
the members of this forum has been tremendous.  Over 100 people
sent messages to me to be forwarded to Trav, and I know hundreds
more of you sent him cards yourselves.  For Travis, I'd like to thank
everyone here who has given him support.  I'd also like to thank
you all for giving me a place to air my feelings.  This accident
has struck close to home and being able to post updates on his
condition here has also provided me with a chance to unload some
of the emotions.

JHF