Sender:
From:
David DeWayne Bricker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 1995 02:57:16 -0400
  Leigh wrote in his post about all of the downsides of paying college
athletes and I totally agree with other points made by people in support
of paying athletes.  Without scholar athletes like the ones we have
today, schools wouldn't be making NEARLY as much as they make with them.
But then again, like Leigh wrote, you see a lot of free agent stuff and
players holding out for more money.  Then presidents of the universities
will decide that there should be salary caps and luxury taxes and then
what do we have?????  We have collegiate strikes!!!  I don't know about
the rest of you, but I would DIE if there was a strike or a lockout in
collegiate hockey!!!!  My life would be over!!!!!  When it comes down to
it I guess I think of it like this:  an athlete on a scholorship IS
getting paid.  He's getting an education for free that another would have
to pay tons for.  In return, the university gets publicity and tons of
money.  I think that an athlete should pay back the amount of the
scholarship that he used up if he decides to leave and turn pro.
Otherwise,  I think everything is pretty even-steven!!!!!

                                                      Alex