Sender:
From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 18:36:23 -0700
Those of us in SCal (no longer the wasteland of college hockey thanks to
PRIME and ESPN, ESPN2) got to see a tape replay of the Shriner AllStar
game this afternoon .... looked like a fun game to watch, not much D, but
what else do you expect in a "fun" game.  The commentator made some
comment about the east team exhibiting much more "wheels" in the game than
he expected, I found this rather a pro-west hockey comments, but outside
of that they seemed fine.  It was great to see some of the people we here
on the west coast almost never see, like Holzinger.  Also the DII and DIII
people gave an excellent account of themselves.  One commentator made the
point that those players may have been "just maturing" out of HS and after
four years of DIII play, may be just as good as "the big boys" and
possibly even get a shot at the NHL.

The most amazing feat, by far, however, was the car-winning shot at the
2nd intermission!  It had been mentioned on the list before, so I expected
it, but was still amazed.  If you do a quick back of the envelope calc,
you find that (assuming the slot was an inch wider than the puck and the
shot came from 90 feet, about right) that the stick blade had to be angled
properly to within plus or minus 0.02 degrees!  This is about 1.2 arc
minutes which is barely perceptible by the human eye!  I was disappointed
that the last guy did not get a shot at a second car. Nissan must be
hurting :-)

Tony Buffa
RPI '64

C-Y'all in Ana-HEIM in ninety-NINE!