Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 17:46:00 EST
As was already mentioned, the Botterill-Fraser bout was
a doozy.  I guess if you're going, you may as well go full
tilt.  It wasn't Bob Probert-Tie Domi, but it's as close as it gets
at the college level.  The absence of Botterill, coupled
with previous injuries to Rick Willis and Matt Herr leaves
Michigan with only 10 forwards for tonight's game.  I suspect
Coach Berenson will dress 8 defensemen and spot two of
them (Chris Fox and, perhaps, Mark Sakala) on the fourth
line throughout the game.

Back to last night's action...ugh.  Jerry Welsh is gone, but
the OSU program is going to reek of his goonism for some
time.  And, Michigan picked the wrong time (postseason) to
fight back.  Following his hat trick (and 30th goal in 30 games
...yow!), Mike Knuble did all he could to get DQed...which
would mean a two game hiatus given that he's already been
DQed once this season.  After being roughed up by an OSU
player, Knuble attempted to spear him about 4-5 times and
finally settled for a stick-breaking cross check, which drew
a five minute major.  And, after watching OSU defenseman
Craig Paterson again, I am convinced that he must be only
the first or second generation walking upright in his family.

On the funny side, I witnessed one of the most enjoyable
altercations I've ever seen last night.  Following a Botterill
scuffle (prior to the one that got him DQed), everyone was
over at the scorers table except for UM's Mike Legg, OSU's
Joe Sellers and OSU netminder Kurt Brown.  Brown was
working on his snow piles outside of each post, which had
now reached almost grapefruit size.  (And, Brown was adding
water from his bottle...presumably looking to freeze his new
found friends.)  Sellers was helping him collect the shavings
and build up the snow.  Eventually, Legg scooted in and
blasted the pile on one side of the net to smithereens, which
prompted a hard shove by Sellers.  Legg then circled behind
the net and teed-off on the other pile, sending shavings
everywhere and ruining all of Brown's work.  Sellers reacted
with a two-hander and both Legg and Sellers were escorted
to the box.  I didn't catch if the call was unsportsmanlike
conduct or delay of game, but they were coincidental minors.
Very funny.

Lastly, I ran into Hockey-L's Kenneth Baker at the game
and put another name to a face.

Same two teams in a little over an hour.

John H
U Mich