From:
"NWLB (E-Ticket)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:41:02 -0400
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Paula Weston wrote:

> At 05:00 AM 4/7/97 -0400, Mark Lewin wrote:
> >Paula, you took the bantering about the new D1 league too seriously. I made
> >a tongue-in-cheek suggestion (as opposed to my usual foot in mouth statements)
> >in good fun as well as a good time thread to while away the off-season. Reading
> >back over like comments, I don't see anything mean spirited about it, just good
> >natured kidding. I think all college hockey fans welcome the addition of
> another
> >league to our ranks. Its good for college hockey and by extension, its good
> >for all
> >us fans.
>
> Mark,
>
> Perhaps you're right.  I certainly don't want to be accused of lack of sense
> of humor.  All right; perhaps the comments are not mean-spirited.  And I
> probably should have acknowledged in my original post that many people are
> "naming" the alleged new conference with tongues in cheek.
>
> However, I think there is a good deal of dismissiveness underlying these
> comments.  There's a certain amount of thinking that any new conference
> would just not be as good as existing conferences, that any D-I team that
> plays for a new conference would not be as good as teams currently aligned
> with conferences.  It's the underlying current of skepticism bordering on
> arrogance that accompanies some of the postings that I'm reacting to.
>
> paula

This generally leads me to this question:  How does any real or percieved
"dismissiveness" compare to early attitudes towards the CCHA when it was
an up and comeing conference?

It seems to me that not more than a year
ago people were scoffing at the very idea of there being more than a
couple of new D-1 schools in the next ten years, much less an entire
conference.

And while yes there are going to be distinct differences in the level of
play, that they are making the effort should be a reaffirming thing to
those that were concerned with the future of our game-nameing things like
Kent and UIC dropping hockey.  Indeed there is a bit of irony if you
consider a pair of high profile basketball schools are adding hockey, when
a b-ball wannabe just dropped their program.

This could be a true landmark event in college hockey.  Something that
might spur other schools to consider banding together themselves.  If this
new group can make a go of it, it may become the prototype for others to
do it in a low budget fashion.

NWLB
E-Ticket
http://members.aol.com/NathanWLB/index.html