MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"McKenney, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKenney, Janet
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2020 16:57:53 +0000
Van delivery, next week’s meeting and more

Freedom Xpress – Route changes, day changes, key requests and updating labels
There is a lot going on with Freedom Xpress as they adjust to library delivery returning to normal levels and loss of other business that is COVID related.
They have a smaller workforce and will be moving their major sorting facility to another Portland location.  The consolidation of 1 day and 2 day delivery libraries to specific days will improve their efficiency.

  *   By moving all the once and twice a week libraries to FX’s lower volume days improves sortation and takes the worry of missing any library that had a Monday delivery due to an holiday that fell on Mondays.
  *   Mondays and Wednesdays are their busiest days of the week
  *   Their routes we are running are longer and most are in circles versus some up and back routes.
I know this causes issues with staffing when days change and also for some require keys.  FX is trying to minimize that need but it is a reality we deal with in Maine with libraries who are not open 5 days a week with 8 hour days.  This is not only a challenge in Maine but nationally delivery services are facing similar challenges with staffing due to COVID, loss of business, and employees who have to quarantine die to exposure.  As we attempt to get back to “normal” it is not the same operating environment and has great impact on logistics.
Pasted below are libraries that have changes being implemented. Some of you have already seen a day change and a request for keys.
Libraries with upcoming day and/or route changes:

•             Louis b Goodall- Sanford is still on P07 and will now run Thursday

•             Maine Humanities Council is still on the P06 and will now run Thursday

•             Winslow Public is now on the B07 and will now run on Tues and Thurs

•             Maine Medical Center is still on the P15 and will now run Thursday

•             Merrill Memorial Library is now on the P09 and will run Tues-Fri

•             Phillips Memorial library is still on the P12 and will remain a Thursday delivery

•             Prince Memorial Library is now on the P09 and will run on Thursday

•             Searsmont Town Library is still on B03 and will run on Thursday

Continue to use the Feedback Form<https://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/illfeedback.htm> to help us address any issues.
We are working on:

  *   Updating information on the website
  *   ILL and Van delivery manual (best practices and guidance)
  *   New forms
Related:
MSL is working with the state libraries in MA, CT and RI on a New England Resource Sharing Conference. One program will be a deep dive into the delivery systems in ME, RI and CT to explore challenges, make comparisons and see what can be done to plan for the future.  Save the date: November 18, 2020. Information will be on the CE Calendar - https://maine-msl.libcal.com/event/7092908

Next week:

We will be diving into a lot on Tuesday with impact of recent REALM results, van delivery label changes, etc.  Join us:

MSL-Continuing the Coronavirus Conversation

Time: September 8, 2020 03:15 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting - https://zoom.us/j/91590503066

Meeting ID: 915 9050 3066

Stay well all and have a restful but safe holiday weekend.
Janet

Janet McKenney
Director, Library Development
Maine State Library