Sender:
From:
Monhegan Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 2016 16:26:27 -0400
Good afternoon!

I'm excited to announce that the Monhegan Memorial Library will be hosting
poet Richard Blanco next Saturday, July 9th, on Monhegan Island! A Cuban
poet now living in Bethel, Blanco is most known for speaking at the 2013
Presidential Inauguration. He was the youngest, first Latino and first gay
poet to do so. He is the author of three books of poetry, and a memoir, *The
Prince of Los Cocuyos. *

His program will consist of two events: a Question and Answer Session about
poetic craft with writers, at the Library from 10:30-11:30am.
Pre-registration required, space is limited to 20 writers. A Poetry Reading
at the Monhegan Church will follow at 7:30pm that night. Afterwards, there
will be a book signing with light refreshments. All events are free of
charge. See our press release for more details:
https://monheganlibrary.com/blog/

This is the "pilot event" in our Distinguished Writers Program. We hope to
bring a writer/poet to the island each year and we are so thrilled to be
starting with Mr. Blanco! This program is supported by a grant the Stephen
and Tabitha King Foundation.

It's a bit of a haul to get out here, but there are 3 boatlines with
multiple trips to the island, running from Boothbay, New Harbor and Port
Clyde. If you were to attend the talk, you would need to stay the night.
Email me off-list ([log in to unmask]) or call
(207)-596-0549 with any questions, or to register for the Q & A!

~Mia Boynton
Librarian
Monhegan Memorial Library