From:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1993 11:58:23 +0000
I've been meaning to comment on recent thoughts, but have been too
busy.  So here are some brief reviews of what I surely would have
spent pages on before...

WHY COLLEGE HOCKEY?
Yes, I do enjoy pro hockey as well (I am an avid Wings fan), but, to
be quite honest, college hockey is more _fun_.  I just posted to Eric
Rickin some of my thoughts as to why:
        a) the band.  I love having pep bands as opposed to the
too-loud rock music arenas now insist on playing every break in the
action.  So much more personality.
        b) the cheers.  Pro fans seem to just yell, boo, and curse.
College fans have semi-intelligent cheers.  Like our "C-ya!"  And
"Sieve, Funnel, Black Hole..."  It's fun to show off our
intelligence.  I got a huge kick out of some fan sitting behind me at
a game this year who let out a barrage of comments about size to ref
Shegos.  Like "Shegos, you're so small an ant would step on you and
not even notive."  Or "Shegos, you're 1/16 scale!"  We were rolling
in the stands, and Shegos was laughing too (honest!).  Things like
this make college hockey fun.
        c) the PRICE.  Let's be honest.  I'm a lowly college student
and can't afford $30 to watch a Wings game.  My season tickets (19
games) at Yost cost $78.  Just think, a season of hockey for the
price of 3 pro tickets.  Enough said.

COACHES AND FISTICUFFS
Brian Morris made some comments about the coache's and league's
responsibility about fighting and carry over feelings from one game
to the next.  While I understand what Brian was talking about, my
original comment ("the CCHA supervisor of officials should have noticed
the incredible violence of Friday's game and that both LaDuke and
Rutherford were contributors to it.") was directed towards the
officials of the game.  A strong point made by most of the CCHA
coaches this year about the elimination of most home-and-home
weekends is that it eliminates most of the frustration and revenge
plays on Saturday night.  But what I noticed Saturday at Yost was
that Rutherford and LaDuke carried over some feelings about Friday's
violent game.  Now, these people are officials and are supposed to be
unbiased.  For the most part, they are.  But this weekend they were
not.  If we eliminated the home-and-home revenge aspect, let's do it
accross the board and eliminate any bias on the part of the
officials.  I'm not saying that the same crew should not do both
games for a home team (like they did for Michigan this past weekend),
but when a game like Friday's UIC/UM game occurs (with HORRIBLE)
officiating and tons of feelings against the two teams on the part of
the officials, why not review it and perhaps change the assignments
on Saturday?  Sometimes, I feel that this is necessary.  That's what
I was getting at in my comments.

MORE ON PRO HOCKEY...
Just a side note.  It seems that here in Detroit people are beginning
to realize how much fun other hockey leagues are...  What with 18,000
attending the UM/MSU game last weekend and the UM/Notre Dame game at
the Palace earlier, and now the Jr. Red Wings (ECHL) just had 17,000
at a game this past weekend at the Joe.  Maybe Mr. Ilitch will take a
look around at the cost of his Wing's tickets and realize just how
outrageous they are.  Junior and minor league hockey is almost as
much fun as College games.  Lot's of families in attendence and
every one is there to have fun, unlike most pro events which are
turning into places to take your business partners...

Can't Wait Until the Phinal Phour @ the Bradley...
Roger

Roger L. Spurgeon                 [log in to unmask]   |_  \    /  _|
Michigan Engineering `94                                 | \ \  / / |
MICHIGAN HOCKEY  --  1992 GLI CHAMPIONS!  5-IN-A-ROW!   _| | \  / | |_
DETROIT RED WINGS  --  WELCOME TO DETROIT MR. COFFEY!   |__|  \/  |__|
MUDDY THE MUD HEN SAYS THE STORM WILL RAGE IN TOLEDO!      Go Blue!