From:
Erik J Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik J Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:19:37 -0600
Saturday night in the WCHA first round:

St Cloud 3 at Minnesota 7 (Minnesota wins series 2-0)
Michigan Tech 3 at North Dakota 4 OT (UND wins series 2-0)
Colorado College 6 at Denver 1 (CC wins series 2-0)
Alaska-Anchorage 0 at Wisconsin 4 (series tied 1-1)
MSU-Mankato 2 at Minnesota-Duluth 6 (series tied 1-1)

SCSU at Minnesota was close (tied 1-1 at 0:22 of the 2nd period, 3-2
Minnesota at 0:24 of the 3rd) until the Gophers broke the game open in the
third period.  Senior Troy Riddle scored a hat trick in his final game at
Mariucci.  Freshman Ryan Potulny scored two more goals, for a total of five in
the three games he's played since returning from his early season injury.

The Gophers are on track to meet CC on Thursday night in the Xcel Energy
Center, barring upsets in Madison or Duluth on Sunday.

Here's my obligatory "allegiance" note.  I am, and have always been, a fan of
the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.  At NC$$ playoff time, I cheer for
whichever WCHA teams are in the running if the Gophers are out of the picture.
Some of my other favorite teams are the UMD Bulldogs and Michigan Tech
Huskies. I have also rooted for North Dakota and Colorado College at recent
Phinal and Phrozen Phours. I'm obligated to cheer for Wisconsin when they get
to a Phrozen Phour because our Badger friends have been so tolerant and
supportive these last two years.

 I also appreciate the Charlestown Chiefs of the Federal League.

I discovered HOCKEY-L while perusing the list of LISTSERV lists in 1990, just
after that year's Phinal Phour.  HOCKEY-L completely changed my perspective on
college hockey.  I have made many friends over the years (and probably
irritated a few people along the way).  I look forward to seeing the gang in
Boston next month.

--Erik