Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:00:39 EDT
On Saturday, August 4th I drove my grandson to Logan for a flight to
Washington to meet with the rest of his family who were vacationing. We were
a little early for the flight and is my wont, I wandered around the gate. I
heard, "Hi Bob!" and I looked and at first I didn't recognize Shawn.

His voice was still strong and we chatted a little and I learned that he was
going to the National Health Institute for a stay. He had picked up a virus
and since his immune system had been suppressed he told me he needed help to
combat the virus. He also said me that at that moment he was feeling good and
the only thing that bothered him was the perpetual tiredness that no amount
of rest could relieve.

I introduced my grandson (16) to him and pretty soon they were engaged in
quite an animated conversation. I walked away and watched them until the
flight was called. My grandson got up and walked to the gate.

I didn't see Shawn in the line and I looked back where he had been sitting.
The chair was one of those that has a backward angle to the seat and Shawn
was trying mightily to get up. I didn't think he would make it and I almost
went over to help him.
I knew he would not appreciate that and with quite a struggle eventually he
did get up and walked to the boarding line. He turned and waved to me and got
on the plane.

I guess at that moment I knew just how bad it was for him and at the same
time as I watched him get out of the chair, I knew he was going to fight with
his last breath.

That night when my grandson called to tell us that the flight was great and
Mom and Dad were waiting for him at the gate, I asked what he and Coach Walsh
had talked about. "Just about life in general" he said.

Whenever Northeastern went to Maine, Shawn always found time to chat with me.
I thought I had become quite knowledgeable about him and the kind of person
he was.
But I learned more about him in that twenty-minutes at the Airport then I had
gleaned from our association of many years.

I have many memories of Shawn in action and his defense of his beloved Black
Bears    which as we all know could be quite vocal. But now my memory will be
of him talking with a 16 year old boy -- "Just about life in general."

Shawn, you will be missed, not only by the Black Bears, but by all whom you
touched

Bob Saunders
NU Staff.