From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:43:05 -0400
Here is the rationale for this situation. The minor penalty caused the team to
be shorthanded. The major made the team down two men. When the other team
receives a penalty, this essentially matches the penalty to player A-12. So we
have a minor to each team and a major to team A.

When B scores, player A-12 cannot come out of the box because his minor penalty
is matched by the minor penalty to B-16. And thus the only remaining penalty is
thw major to A-14 which cannot be washed out due to a goal. It is a little
strange, but this is the logic for NCAA.

Craig

Something came up in the BC-Michigan State game that left me wondering what
the exact ruling is. Here is the scenario:

Time  Player
0:28  A-12   High Sticking minor
1:00  A-14   Slashing major
1:08  B-16   High Sticking minor

2:11  GOAL   Team B

As you can see, the goal was scored when Team B had a 4-on-3 power play.

The question is - does the goal count against the minor penalty? My
understanding of CHA and pro rules tells me that it does, because the
second penalty is a major. Do NCAA rules differ on this?

John