From:
Joseph LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:19:53 -0600
Eric

You gotta be on the left coast, those 10 PM games usually get to be way past
my bedtime (though I do like the "pond" hockey games).

I thought it was a great idea for Don Cherry to talk about the STOP program.
For kids, it makes a lot of sense.  We need to stop the hits from behind.
it is a cheap shot and, as Vicki can cite chapter and verse ;), can cause
serious injury.

We all remember the long (and somewhat heated) discussion last spring on the
facemask issue in the NCAA.  I will not restart it, but I will put 2 cents
(US) in that a USA player who has achieved the age of majority can sign a
waiver and wear a half shield.  It has to be coached and ingrained from Day
1 in youth hockey that you leave the head alone.  Canada mandates a major +
game for any Xcheck above the shoulder.  THAT is a good step, though I hate
to see behavior being regulated by rule.

Joe