Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:16:17 -0700
If...

1. The vast majority of the fans enjoy rough play
2. The vast majority of the media likes rough play
3. The players have their own, accepted system of dealing with rough play
4. Referees at all levels call the game in a *relatively* similar manner
5. Coaches and teams don't discipline their own players for it
6. College and Junior teams (and fans) take "Slapshot" on every bus trip :-)

Then is this really so much of a problem?

I'm not saying that vicious play should be ignored, nor am I implying that
those on the receiving end have nothing to gripe about. But until I see a
significant change in attitudes in #s 1-5 of the list above, I just don't
see this as a major concern.

Participating in sports require an acceptance of risk. No single sport,
even at the lowest level, is inherently safe. People have died while
participating in nearly every conceivable sport, at most any level.

It's no surprise then that taking part in a sport at its highest level
increases the risk, due to internal and external forces that are too
numerous to list. Professional athletes are not forced to accept this risk.

What is a surprise is that given the weight of these forces, that injuries
and deaths are not more common, especially among higher-contact sports such
as American football and hockey. That these don't occur at a higher rate is
a testament to the players and the officials that participate in these sports.

With the growing importance and impact of college hockey on the
professional ranks, the game at this level has taken on an increased risk.
Division 1 hockey doesn't exist so that a bunch of talented kids can get
some exercise and have a good time.

There will always be unfortunate incidents that result out of one player
taking his aggression out on another. There is nothing that anyone can do
to rid any sport of this, without having drastic effect on how the sport is
actually played.

Do you really think that the threat of a jail sentence would stop a player
from boarding or hitting from behind, especially in the heat of the moment?
Human beings are capable of and often carry out far worse actions when
faced with penalties that are far more severe.

Until there is a visible, unilateral change in attitude towards violent
play by those involved in the play of the game -- players, coaches,
officials -- then the sport will continue to be played as it is today, and
continue to be enjoyed by millions.

greenie

obligatory Slapshot references to this topic:

"This young man has had a very trying rookie season. What with the
litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that
country's refusal to accept him... well, I guess that's more than most
21-year-olds could handle."

"...well, he would get deliberate penalties so he could get in the box all
by himself and you know... nnn nnn nnn..."