From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:57:52 -0600
I think you miss the point here, Eric.  You wrote:
<snip>
> My point is unless you want to start issueing handcuffs pistols and badges
> hockey is going to be the way it is now, quit watching or except it and
> move on.
and (snip)
> Life is imperfect, but It is getting sickening to have people constantly
> messing with the game of hockey, what next no checking, boy that is a
> great idea? Padded boards?

I don't think Viki was advocating anything of the sort.  When you strap on
those skates there IS an implied consent - a consent to the kind of violence
allowed by the rules and the knowledge that you will be subjected to things
that exceed the boundaries of those rules.  That is, if boarded, the other
player will get a penalty - this exceeded the rules - and you might get
injured in the process.  But unless and until boarding gets "out of hand"
(and don't ask me to define that) that's all that happens even if an injury
occurs.

I think what one must do is distinguish between rough play that goes over
the top (with its mandated penalties from the rules of the game) and an
intent to injure someone that goes beyond the accidental or instant
adrenalin rush in the heat of a game.  If the opposing goalie has his back
to me taking a drink or putting gloves on during a play break and a I take
the opportunity to charge him which results in a serious injury, would you
really want to justify that as part of the game, that the goalie gave
implied consent to my actions?  Or should I be held to the standards of the
law and subject to arrest and prosecution?  Choosing the latter in no way
would be messing with the game of hockey.

Tom Rowe                                          [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners Up 92 & 98