From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:25:56 -0500
On Nov 29,  2:50, Kepler wrote:
>              For purposes of the PWR and RPICH metrics, is
>              Cornell's loss to Niagara in the 18th minute of the
>              first overtime a "loss" or a "tie"? I recall the debate
>              of a few seasons ago concerning tourny games that
>              exceed five minutes of overtime, but don't know
>              whether the rulings have changed.

To my (certainly not all-encompassing) knowledge, nothing has changed.  Under
PWR/RPI, a win is a win, a loss is a loss, and a tie is a tie, no matter how
much overtime is played.

The only situation I can think of in which what you see may not be what you get
would be (gads, how many W's can I get in this sentence??) if the tournament
game in question were also being counted as a conference game.  Say if Cornell
and Colgate were to meet in the first round of the SIT, and the ECAC were to
designate this as a conference meeting, rather than a non-league game.  If the
game were to go into OT for more than five minutes, it would likely be
considered a tie by the ECAC -- but again, not by the NCAA for PWR/RPI purposes
(or any other purposes).

Tournament games as conference games does happen, though very rarely at the
Div. I level; the last one I can recall was in Union's first year of Div. I
competition (1991-92), when their meeting with RPI in the RPI Invitational was
considered a conference game.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"I'm addicted to placebos.  I'd give them up, but it wouldn't make any
 difference."
-- Steven Wright