From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:34:29 +0800
Re: Kepler:

I don't have much of an argument with most of what was said, except the
following:

>That school is not a priority is somewhat disingenous when we are comparing
>this to the NCAA.  At most major NCAA D-I powers, school responsbilities are
>as much of a joke as they are in the juniors.  The perennial top ten are a
>business and a feeder system in their own right.

I cannot speak for the Maines, BCs and North Dakotas of the world but, now
that UNH has been in the top ten the last three years, and thus a "D1
power", I feel obligated to speak for them.  In the last five years, UNH
Hockey has had a graduation rate of well over 90%, even including the
players who departed early (Bekar, Nickulas, Filipowicz).  In addition,
last year's senior class had two players who were four year Hockey East
All-Academic (3.0 GPA all four years) - Jason Krog and Chad Onufrechuk.
Not only was Krog HE All-Academic and the Hobey Baker winner, but he
graduated from the Whittemore School of Business (a top notch school BTW)
with a 3.6 GPA.  A truly remarkable kid.

I think it is unfair to paint such a broad brush when talking about college
hockey and academics.  My observations over the years at UNH is that hockey
players have not been accorded all the advantages that we hear go on at a
lot of D1 football and basketball factories.  Not every UNH Hockey player
is a scholar but they have to go to class, keep up their course work and,
as a result, they do graduate.  Which is more than you can say about places
like Tennessee and Florida State.

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
It's a different kind of year!