From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:59:24 -0500
Good afternoon -

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Joseph LaCour wrote:
> Re: high Sticks (BTW, check out www.ihonc.com)

  This is an amazing resource - thanks for pointing it out !!

> If the attacking player hi sticks it directly to the goalie, blow the
> whistle and face the puck off as if any hi stick violation occurred
> (same for a kick in or a throw in).

  OK, seems appropriate ....

  But IS it a legal play !?!?  Look at the rules at www.ihonc.com:

> (d) Batting the puck above the normal height of the shoulders with the
>       stick is prohibited and when it occurs there shall be a whistle
>       and the ensuing face-off shall take place at one of the end zone
>       face-off spots adjacent to the goal of the team causing the stop-
>       page unless:
>
>  1. The puck is batted to an opponent and the opponent gains possession
>       and control of the puck in which case the play shall continue ....

  The play in question in the BU-UNH game: Shipulski definitely hi-sticked
the puck to the ice, where it deflected off a BU player's skate to Ficek
who scored.  BU never had control of the puck between the hi-stick and the
shot/score - under these rules as given above, shouldn't the play have been
whistled dead as I'd assumed ??

> BUT .... If the puck went directly in off B's foot, no goal.
> If you ask me why, I'll cry ....

  That particular wrinkle is not covered by the rules as given; why should
this situation be treated any differently than any other case in which a
goal is scored off a defender's body/skate/stick, i.e., it counts ??

  As for the crying game, did Clarkson get burned with such a play in the
past ?? :-)  Off hand (pun very much intended :-) I'd say Vermont is the
team with the greatest reason to bitch about a poor interpretation of this
rule (1996 NC$$ semi-final vs. CC on the lake in Cincinnati) ....

  Still confused - Jim