From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:37:22 -0500
On Nov 24, 10:42, Jim Love wrote:
>> The second period started with both teams receiving matching minors for
>> "protocol violations," which I can only guess to mean that neither team
>> was in place for a face-off when the intermission clock ran down to 00:00.
>
>  I've seen this called to ONE team when they were (intentionally) late at
>returning to the ice following the intermission break (in protest of what
>was regarded by them as a horrendous call just before the prior period
>ended), but such a dual penalty is a new one on me.  How was it that NEITHER
>team could manage to get its centerman in place for the face-off in a timely
>fashion ??

A post on the USCHO message board says that the penalties were called because
both teams were late coming out of the locker room.  Whether it was truly
egregious dawdling or a hypersensitive ref, I couldn't guess.

>> In the last minute of the game, with a scramble around the UMass goal, a
>> UMass defenseman intentionally dislodged the net.  UVM was given the
>> choice of a power play or a penalty shot, and they scored on the sub-
>> sequent penalty shot.
>
>  I'm admittedly no expert on the arcania (sp ??) of the rulebook, but I
>hadn't realized that this infraction was coupled to a CHOICE of outcomes.
>Are penalty shots always offered as a choice to the appropriate team/coach,
>or are there instances where a penalty shot is AUTOMATICALLY awarded ??

I don't have a rule book handy, but as I recall, whenever a penalty shot is
discussed in the rules, it's always mentioned as "a penalty shot/optional minor
penalty shall be awarded" etc.  The USA Hockey rulebook does describe a few
situations in which a goal is awarded instead of a penalty shot (like in the
above situation, if the goaltender had been pulled and the empty net was
dislodged as the puck was clearly going to enter it).  I don't know if the NCAA
rulebook does this.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"I'm addicted to placebos.  I'd give them up, but it wouldn't make any
 difference."
-- Steven Wright