Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:35:38 -0500
-- [ From: Kepler * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Clay writes:

>  In a
> game-oriented system, as the CHL is, you learn game skills; and since the
game
> they're emulating is the NHL, they learn NHL game skills -- minimize
mistakes
> (which discourages taking chances), cautious defensive systems, dump-and-
chase,
> clutch and grab.

I certainly agree with the logic that the juniors are strictly emulating the
pro's -- sometimes to a silly extent.  Offensive production does tend to be
higher in the juniors -- 10-12 goal nights are not unusual.  The "game
skills" commnent is right on beam -- that's what you see every night in the
"W."   Hockey circa 1965.

> And there ARE players
> who seize the opportunity to get a good education, even if the have to
deal
> with the demands of their sport.

Absolutely agreed.  For that matter, plenty of non-students just coast
through their college years, pick up the credential, and go.  The
exceptional people always find a way to take advantage of their environment,
be they athletes or aesthetes.

> I don't see why the NCAA should worry that much about the junior's
> talent advantage since they don't play them.

The only way it makes any sense to me that they'd be worried is that they'd
like to market NCAA hockey, both direcly to the public and indirectly
through greater exposure in the NHL.  That won't work very well for a
variety of reasons, but since the NC$$ is what it is, the institutional
momentum is always towards the dollar.   Again, I'm not worried because I
don't think rule changes like this will have much/any effect.

Good points by one and all.  Interesting thread -- long live hockey-l.  ;-)

--

*  Greg Berge