From:
Joseph LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:33:58 -0600
Greg

Skill development??  If I accept what the Toronto Globe & Mail wrote two yrs
ago about the state of hockey in Canada, it sadly appears not to be the
case, otherwise there would be more Canadians in the NHL then there are now.
Look at the top lines in the NHL.  How many of these players are European,
Junior grads, or ex NCAA players?  I think we'll find that the Europeans are
in the majority.  The reason, according to the G&M, is skill development,
rather than game play, at the younger age groups.  The "kukaloos", as Bobby
Hull calls them, are almost ALL major junior grads.  Limited skills, but
they can sure hit, or punch.

This may have an interesting effect on the PG year at Prep schools.  Right
now, many prospects in the East play at least one year beyond HS at a prep
school and if not yet picked up by a college, then head off to Junior to get
"bigger & faster" before going to college.  Under this proposal, it is one
or the other, but not both.  Whether the proposed Tier 1 US Junior league
bridges this gap will be VERY interesting to watch.

The major affected sport, IMHO, (and yes, Wayne, this may be a bit off
topic), will be in basketball.  I can see a "shoe" league sponsored by the
footwear gang for HS grads to play 1 year of "semi pro" ball, make some big
$$, and then go off to the NCAA for 2 more years of finishing school before
turning pro.  I am surprised that the basketball crowd has not picked up on
this.

Joe
Clarkson '77/78
PS  What the HECK happened Sat. night in Ithaca?