From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:48:05 -0700
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Chris Heisenberg wrote:

> <<<For every year the junior players play they get a year's
> scholarship at the Canadian school of their choice financed by a fund
> dedicated for that purpose by the CHL. >>>
>
> I believe that the Canadian major junior teams offer the scholarship for each
> year, but that the offer is somewhat illusory.  As I understand the terms of
> the offer, the scholarship is lost if the player signs any sort of
> professional  (e.g. Eastern Junior, AHL, CHL) hockey contract after
> completing major junior.  Thus, many Canadian major junior players will
> likely not be able to avail themselves of the offer.  That is not to question
> the legitimacy of the offer to those players who will never have the pro
> option, but to point out that all of the CHL's graduates in the low minors
> will receive no educational support.

It *is* true that the offer is only for those players that don't go pro,
but by that time these people are not impressionable teens and have the
choice of getting their education or going pro, just as they do as to
staying at school or going pro in the States, and there are many players
each year who do that in the US which does not make the offer of an
education by those schools (or the CHL) meaningless.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
North Vancouver, BC
GO BU!!!