Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 06:22:58 -0500
-- [ From: Kepler * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Well, the article is way over-the-top: Upton Sinclair's Hockey Primer, or
another fine graduate of the "The More Alarmist I Am, the More Serious a
Journalist I Am" school (granted, this is an improvement over the "The More
Maudlin I Am, the More Serious a Filmmaker I Am" school).   Junior hockey is
like any corporation you or I toil for -- to the extent that you play by
their rules and are valuable to them, they take care of you.  To the extent
that you don't/aren't, you're horsemeat.  Aint capitalism grand?

A few points.

The idea that the juniors don't develop skills, at least hockey skills, is
ludicrous.  The NHL is basically the graduate school of the juniors -- there
are more ex-WHL players in the NHL than there are ex-NCAA players, and the
WHL is only one of three CHL leagues.  The skill development is very strong.

That school is not a priority is somewhat disingenous when we are comparing
this to the NCAA.  At most major NCAA D-I powers, school responsbilities are
as much of a joke as they are in the juniors.  The perennial top ten are a
business and a feeder system in their own right.

The NCAA rule change may be motivated by an attempt to erode the juniors
large talent advantage, but if so, is that all that laudable?  I would hope
the rule change is motivated more by issues of sense and fairness.  The
living stipend and billeting that junior players receive really doesn't do
much for them, and it shouldn't screw up their college eligibility.  After
all, there are plenty of collegians who were on special teams (national
underage teams, all star teams, etc), and the perks for being on those
squads are comparable in type if not extent).

Generally speaking, this seems like a fair development.  I don't see it
resulting in any huge influx of talent, though there will be migratory
exceptions.  If the rule is written loosely enough, the NCAA may actually
lose talented players who choose to jump to the juniors to try to up their
draft position by playing a longer, tougher season, knowing they can
straggle back if it doesn't work out.

Comment on comparative skills: the big differences are size and skating,
both of which are superior out in the CHL.  As far as skills, stick handling
, and play creation go, it's either a wash or perhaps even a slight nod to
the colleges.  So, I don't think you'll see much movement of talent between
worlds.

But then, that line wouldn't have won the writer a Pulitzer, eh?  ;-)

--

*  Greg Berge