Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:43:41 -0600
>Is there some sort of WCHA-biased voter (probably one of the 13
>beat-writers) who always votes for Minnesota? This really hurts the
>legitimacy of the poll when some guy actually places Minnesota (4-7-2) in
>the #10 spot. Its no wonder that the WCHA always ranks so well. Earlier in
>the season, N.Dakota (who had yet to play) was garnering first place votes
>in the second and third week despite losing nearly half their talent to
>graduation. Give those western scribes even the slightest angle (like the
>Gophers sweeping UMD this past weekend) and they propel their teams right
up
>the ladder. There is no way Minnesota should have received a vote. Also,
>Mankato was placed in the #10 slot by two voters as well.

Actually, I can see the argument.  I wouldn't have put them there myself,
but I can see it.  All of those losses were close games, and aside from one
loss to BC, they all came against teams in the top seven.  Minnesota's
strength of schedule to this point has been brutal.  I have a feeling that
their won-loss record is going to get much better in a hurry.  I'm guessing
a split this weekend in Ann Arbor and East Lansing, and then a lot of good
play.

J. Michael Neal