From:
Rob Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 05:56:54 -0600
I think that you can easily impose high academic standards at a large school
like the U of M.  For those not from around the area, there is a new
president (Mark Yudof) that came here from Texas and has been working to
increase standards for the general population in an effort to make the U of
MN one of the top x schools in the nation.  And with the recent "issues" in
the athletic department here at the U I think that high standards will not
only be supported but encouraged.

Another thought is that with a large school like Minnesota there "should" be
ample resources available to help student athletes maintain a high GPA.
What would be interesting to know is how low the floor is on Lucia's GPA
standards.  Going to a mandatory study for a <3 GPA is one thing, but how
low can a player sink before there are serious issues with his academics?