From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 23:55:38 -0400
UNO played the Spartans straight up in the 1st and 3rd periods.

It was the 20 minutes inbetween that killed em.

MSU won 5-2 based on a 3 goal outburst in the 2nd to give them a commanding
5-1 lead after 2.

Props to MSU for bringing a very vocal and relatively big contingent.

Pre-game festivities were awesome. I skipped the pregame pep rally, but the
arena was still electric from about the 10:00 mark before thru the opening
faceoff. The # of empty seats were disappointing, I'd say about 750 empty
seats (people bought the tix but didn't show up), which is better than
normal but I was hoping for a full house. Loved the CCHA and team banners
from the rafters, and the pregame fireworks were sweet. I love the new band,
and it's nice to see the fast paced U!N!O!'s back after goals and the fight
song unlike last year.

UNO's power play was weak tonight, going 1 for 11 and giving up a shortie. I
thought Sid gave up some weak goals, but on a couple the defense left him
high and dry. MSU's wasn't much better going 1-6 or 1-8 or so.

MSU opened the scoring with a shorthander, took the pumped up crowd out of
it. UNO answered just at the end of the first part of a 5-3, as White put
the biscuit int he basket on a rebound and the crowd sprang back to life.
Even with MSU getting another goal in the period the crowd didn't die out.
MSU led 2-1 after 1 and led the shots about 19-6 or so.

I know I didn't say this before, but I was truly worried about the 2nd
period even before the game, and especailly after UNO took that penalty late
in the first. UNO's traditionally been weak in the middle frame, especially
against the stronger teams. And it showed tonight.

UNO was diving around like people on a slip and slide, and MSU took
advantage by getting a powerplay goal about a minute in. They added 2 more,
including one nice give and go, and it was 5-1 by the end of the 2nd.

UNO played MSU straight up in the third, getting one back at the 17:40 or
so. Hoggan got the goal. Things got chippy in the end, and considering UNO
doesn't play at home again for 3 weeks, I think I may have to goto the game
tomorrow to get my hockey fix and see if UNO can steal some points.

Let's see, off ice stuff...
Crowd was pretty good tonight. As I said I was disappointed in the empty
seats, but not much I can do about those. I like the rally towels more than
milk jugs, but I'm wondeing why they cost $5 even with a sponser on em. But
it was nice that the crowd wasn't overloaded with the milk jugs tonight, I
think we found a good balance.

Love the banners...Will look really good once UNO can start getting a
collection of championship banners.

Band was a great re-addition. After goal cheers are much better without that
cheesy thing they did last year. Wish the band played a little more and hte
piped in music less, but the after goal celebration alone makes the band
worthwhile.

Same 2 teams tomorrow night. Hopefully UNO can get at least 1 point from the
weekend before having a week off to get ready for a trip to Northern Michigan
===============================
      Ben Flickinger
-------------------------------
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
AOL Instant Messenger: CWSOmaha
ICQ #: 2198228
Sports Editor of the North Star - Student Paper of Omaha North High School.
To all the CCHA teams, UNO welcomes you to the Bullpen. Now get ready to lose.
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies are gonna rule the 21st Century.
QOTW: "Scott Bullett, as he takes left field, is getting congratulations
from everybody. He and his daughter are parents now of a new baby." (Harry
Caray)