From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:00:17 -0400
[Ben, sorry for sending this to you directly earlier today.  When I reply to
messages from Hockey-L my email automatically replies to the poster, not to
Hockey-L and sometimes I forget to correct it]

Ben Flickinger wrote:

>>it's just more people want to see some sports than others<<

Perfectly true (and without a doubt non-sexist) so far.  Now as for the
other sports, that people aren't as interested in seeing, why do you divide
them up into (1) MEN'S sports that people aren't as interested in seeing and
(2) WOMEN'S sports that people aren't as interested in seeing?

>>My personal beef is with Title IX and the cutting of men's sports.<<

Your beef is with the institutions, not with Title IX.  Title IX didn't
require any institution to cut a men's sport.  The schools could have
complied with Title IX by adding women's sports, but they opted not to.
Why?  Most likely for financial reasons; they couldn't afford to spend more
funds on intercollegiate athletics.  What does that say?  Most likely that
the money being spent on the disproportionately male athetic program was
money that the school ought to have been using for its academic programs.

>>law of supply and demand by Adam Smith.<<

What "supply" and "demand" are you referring to?  From the context, it's
pretty obvious that the only "demand"  you're talking about is demand in the
form of people wanting to watch the game.  Well, as has been pointed out
several times unless the point of college athletics is to make money by
providing entertainment, that "demand" is IRRELEVANT.  If the point of
colleges is to provide education to students, then the only "demand" that
matters is the demand from students to participate in intercollegiate
athletics.  Many schools have been systematically denying "supplying"
opportunities for women athletes for years; now they ironically try to
remedy that by denying opportunities for male athletes as well.

Clay