From:
Gerald Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:46:47 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/99 5:36:02 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<
Beyond the problem with this thinking that I've mentioned repeatedly, that you
ignore, there's another.  What is the logic process that leads you to the
conclusion that the profits from football, etc. should be used to fund men's
sports that can't support themselves, but not women's sports?  Particularly
since
you seem to think that this would not only be ethically fair, but also pass
legal
muster?

J. Michael Neal >>

I suppose that is a valid argument. With that being said, I would be happy to
simply allow football receipts to fund football scholarships, hockey receipts
to fund hockey scholarships, and men's basketball fund men basketball.
Having those scholarships fully funded, the extra money (and in the case of
Michigan we're talking millions of dollars), that money can be used equally
to fund men and women's athletic scholarships.

So what I'm saying is that the self sustaining / self funded scholarships
should not count against the title IX 'equalization' figures.

In any event I surely know that this would not 'pass the legal muster',
though in this messed up legal system of ours, fairness rarely happens, and
in general inequality and the taking from the 'haves' to give to the 'have
nots' is deemed perfectly fair.