From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:26:02 EDT
football is at times a "loss leader" and as such there are intangibles
associated with it- BU lost at least 1 million dollars from the Greb
Foundation

you need the bodies to put a competitive product on the field- it is the
reason that the Ivies went to spring football

as far as I am concerned the less government control and micromangement of
our society the better- American women certainly know how to get a university
to address their concerns- go to schools that offer the sports they want and
the marketplace witll dictate more sports- assuming there is a real
marketplace for more womens sports

even the women concede that Title IX has resulted in the elimination of mens'
non-revenue teams- Providence baseball; Notre Dame wrestling; etc - it is a
fact- in an ideal world that would not happen- but this is reality- there
will always be more male athletes than female athletes unless we have a total
change in  western society- that's just the way it is- you can't dictate
quotas anymore than you can say MIT should admit enough women engineers to
equal the males- does not work