From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:51:02 -0600
Ed

Speaking from the East, but a frequent Gopher watcher on MSC........

I wonder if the expectations at UMinn are higher than other schools.
Minn has been very successful under a number of coaches (Marriucci,
Brooks, etc) plus Woog.  The difference is Minn, under Doug Woog, has not
won an NCAA championship.  For a program such as Minnesota, this is, IMO,
an unpardonable sin.

Getting off the subject a bit, but I think it is relevent to our
discussion.  There are 4 tiers in college hockey.  The 1st tier will make
their league playoffs.  The second tier have a realistic chance of
winning the league.  The third group has a realistic chance of making the
NCAAs.  The final tier has a realistic chance of winning the national
title.  Regardless of record, Minnesota fans, players, coaches, alumni,
etc have put the Gophers in that 4th tier where success is spelled NCAA
title.  However, when you think about it, that 4th tier is a very small
group of perhaps 8 schools and I don't think that Minnesota is a member
this season.

Harvard is in the 1st tier.  The only way they'll make the NCAAs is to
win the ECAC outright.  Relaistically, they have no chance at the title.
(Risking flames) But then again, what ECAC school does?  I don't think
that Bill Cleary is going to fire Tomassoni after this season.  Given a
few more dissapointing seasons and Ronn may be asked to walk the plank,
but not now.

Joe LaCour
Clarkson '77

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]