From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:30:41 -0400
After all is said and done, the WCHA executed a better system which I'm sure
most fans support (except for those rule-fanatics).

Sudden death overtime is a very exciting event as is the last few minutes of
a tie game. Having a two-minute intermission before a five-minute overtime
is a great way to extend/increase that excitement level. I hate having to
wait 20 minutes for something that typically only takes a few minutes (e.g.
Gionta's score soon into 2nd overtime). I know we can't reasonably expect
the teams to skate much more than 25 minutes on the ice without resurfacing
but the 5-minute OT is definitely something that should be used in all
games.

If I were the ref./official, I'd interpret the rules in this manner. The
official NCAA rules are certainly used in a "suggestive" role in other
regards ... as has been pointed out in these discussions.

There certainly aren’t any repercussions to be suffered. When
tournament/bracket games need a winner, one is decided by overtime. The
final game result is a win or a loss in all capacities, except for the
extremely rare case where a tourney game is also a league game. In that
case, who the heck really cares if a goal is scored at exactly the five
minute mark, like such a rare event would ever happen in an equally rare
situation.