From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:30:08 -0500
Interesting that Richard posts this after the same weekend I saw a
particular coach get lectured for the second time in two weeks by
a referee. As matters would have it, they were different referees, as well.

Now, this is the first time I've ever seen that happen, so I don't really
know for sure how often a coach gets a stern lecture from a referee.

This all but confirms what I've been thinking about this team. My
opinion of this hockey team is that - well, let's just say that I've
seen cleaner hockey in my days.

Relevance to Richard's post: This would have to come down from
the coach. I see no reason for a team to play clutch-and-grab,
ram-your-head-into-the-board, knock-the-goalie-down, break-their-
arms hockey just to get the tiny advantage to put your team on
top of the standings. I don't have respect for a program that plays
in sych a manner. Sometimes the coach will feel the need to do this
just to keep his/her job. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Yes, I realize this is hockey and you'll see physical play. But there's
a limit to physical play, which is why we have referees. These days,
I've seen many penalties called just to set a precedent. I don't agree
with this, but if the coaches (and players, for that matter) see that
the refs are letting one thing go, they'll take it to the next step. They
will then become more physical until the official has seen enough. This
is why penalties will be called just to get control of the game.

My 2 cents...

As always, comments are welcome.

-Andy