From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:39:29 -0600
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, David Parter wrote:

> I'm seen many more WCHA-officiated games than non-WCHA officiated games,
> but even just in the playoffs, where the best officials are presumed to
> be working, WCHA linesman seem to have a great difficulty doing a quick
> clean faceoff without frequently tossing one or more players, while the
> linesman from the other leagues seem to simply skate up, point, and drop
> the puck. Either the WCHA linesman are perfectionists, or there is
> something else going on.

I think it's more a case of being more concerned about everything being
done right, and giving teams less slack. In the playoffs, every game is
vital, and every faceoff can be vital. Also, a team should know what it's
doing by this point.

I noticed that to be the case for my team in our playoffs. In the regular
season, if one of the players was lined up just over the line, the ref
would just tell the player to move back. In the playoffs, they'd kick the
centre out.

> Whats worse than waiting for the teams to line up properly is those
> (rare for us) live TV games, were most of the crowd doesn't understand
> that there are TV timeouts. Those in the know look for the signal towel.

You don't have a red light in the penalty box? I figured those were standard
for TV games.

See you later,
John

--