From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 20:33:05 -0500
I won't bash ESPN - I like the network and I always will. The fact
remains, however, that college hockey will not get the exposure it
deserves for a long time, IMO.

This isn't a bitter statement. Rather, I have just accepted the fact
that ESPN or any other major sports network will always prefer
college hoops and the Bob Hope Invitational over college hockey.

I understand all of the complaints, but there's no point in preaching
to the choir. There are three things we can do if we really want to
see college hockey on ESPN:

1) Write to ESPN
2) Write to ESPN
3) Write to ESPN

If enough people do so, they may consider giving it a little more
coverage. However, my guess is that it's all about money (as we
already know) and ESPN just couldn't afford to cover college
hockey more than, say, the US figure skating championships.
There are simply more people who have expressed their interest
in figure skating than college hockey.

I would love to see college hockey get the exposure that college
hoops does. The problem still revolves around the fact that there
are more people in North Carolina wanting to watch the ACC
Championship than the Hockey East championship in mid-March.

[off soapbox, exit stage left]

Comments and opinions (but preferably not flames) welcome....   ;-)

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam  '93
Union College  '95