From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 02:19:09 -0500
In an excellent college hockey game, Denver University defeated UAA
(Alaska Anchorage) 3 to 1. The first goal was scored by DU with about 15
seconds remaining in the 2nd period. A second goal was scored by DU early
in the third period and then UAA scored. From my viewpoint, it appeared
that the third DU goal was blocked and then while the puck was in the air,
the goalie's stick knocked it into the net. Both teams had a few
breakaways, two on one's, and etc. chances to score but were unable to put
it past either netminder. Overall, it was a strong defensive game by both
teams. I felt that DU's Mullen in goal tonight was stronger than Wagner
last night and was the main reason that DU won although DU did play with
greater intensity. It did seem that DU was wearing down some in the second
period and UAA seemed to be achieving a slight edge, however the late goal
revived DU, enabled them to go into a stronger defensive posture, and
secured the victory in the end. Again, mostly a penalty free game - 1 for
UAA and, I believe, 3 for DU. Just all in all a great game. Total points
for the year: DU 5 UAA 3 which is probably a good reflection of overall
team quality.