From:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 20:23:25 EST
I don't really know which of my top three would go down as the greatest, but
they're all pretty commonplace.
First off, I didn't really see much of the BU-NMU game in 1991. I wasn't really
into hockey back then, but I did see the overtime periods. What I saw got me
somewhat interested in college hockey as a sport, although not hockey in
general...YET.
As for the UM-LSSU game in 1993, I was amazed. I had never seen Maine behind
in the third period that whole season until the semi-final against Michigan
(which I think was another game worthy of mention). When LSSU took the 4-2 lead
into the locker room, I was depressed. I honestly didn't think we had a shot of
tying the thing up, much less winning. Even seeing Garth in net didn't get me

going, until Jim Montgomery tied the game. I knew at that point that the game
was in the bag.
The 1995 semi-final between Maine and Michigan also has to go down on my short

list of the greatest games of all time. Just seeing the outright drive in both
teams was enough to make any hockey fan appreciate what the spirit of
excitement and uncertainty of the game means.
These three games all have something in common. Neither team wanted to quit.
Seeing these teams just give everything they had because they didn't want to
lose made these games the best in my book. I hate blowouts, because the
winner is determined before the end of the first period. There's almost no
reason to stick around. Games like this tend to really show what the true
spirit of competition is all about.