Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 08:29:01 -0600
I don't think that the question of whether or not to include Maine in the
poll is quite as simple as Mike Machnik makes out.  I think I've made some
of my views on the whole subject clear, and I did include Maine on my
ballot for this week's poll.  However, I can understand that some people
might think that it is inappropriate for a team on suspension to be part of
the results.  It's not just a matter of forecasting the NCAA Tournament.
The thinking is that part of the punishment ought to involve the denial of
the honors that are given to success; playing within the rules is one of
the criteria for such honors.  (And everyone lives for that #1 ranking in
the hockey-l poll, right?)
  I do think that if the poll is going to have a lot of validity, we all
ought to be reading out of the same rulebook.  Otherwise, it won't be right
by any set of standards.  We could hold some sort of vote, but it strikes
me as unwieldy, particularly figuring out the procedures.  My suggestion is
that by running this whole thing, Glen has saddled himself with an
executive decision.  Don't you feel lucky?

J. Michael Jackson