From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 03:52:37 PST
---------------Original Message---------------
Mike Machnik writes:

I'm curious to hear what the support was like in other places in the US where the WJC was held.  How did it do in Anchorage in 1989?

I attended a few of the games, but my recollection is very vague. Maybe someone else can add to these comments.

The games were spread around. We have several Olympic sized sheets (within 15 miles) in addition to the larger arena. They are nice, new facilities, but designed for local community action -- high school, community leagues, ice skating, etc. Maybe hold 1200 or so on one side. They did play competition games at these facilities. Very vague, but it  seems that they flew to Fairbanks and possibly Soldotna for some games. A big point was made in playing all of the games on Olympic size ice.

The showcase games were held at the Sullivan Arena - 6400. I don't remember if it was sold out or not, but the key games that I attended had good attendance. The purpose in having the games related to the Winter Olympic bid. Thus, the organizing committee sponsored the games and the press reports, reported opinions, and so forth were very favorable on the "best foot forward" effort. It was felt that we had to do a good job (i.e. host a major tournament) or the Olympic bid would be meaningless.

All that I remember at the moment, but could find out more if it would be helpful.

Lowell King, Anchorage