From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 18:34:12 -0700
Inexplicably ESPN2 showed the US/Sweden game on tape while the other game
was happening, so I can't comment on the game since I watched the live
game, already knowing the result of the first game, which was not shown
in Canada.

Jack Parker was interviewed on TSN.  He said that the US did not have
their skating legs having won an emotional game the day before.  Of
course, his opponents had also played the day before.  That emotional win
would not have been necessary had the US beaten the teams they should have.

TSN reported that Parker said he had no regrets about his selection
process.  Interestingly, Parker added that in his opinion NCAA players
did not consider the world junior tournament to be as important as
Christmas college tourneys.  If this is the case it makes Parker's
"boycott" of some prominent junior players that much more inexplicable to me.
Canada's coach was interviewed on TSN and was asked if the layoff would
hurt the Canadians.  He responded no because the players had waited thier
entire lives for this moment.  This feeling, I'm sure, does rub off on the
US nationals who play in the junior leagues.  For them this is a big deal.

Parker added that he felt that the US should have a full time coach for
the juniors.  Whatever the merits of this idea (how could a coach be full
time when except during the tournament there would be no team to coach.)
the USA team waited until too late to show up.  The Russians play possum
almost every year, but they do play when it counts.

Bob MacKensie, of the Hockey News and colour commentator for the
tournament on TSN, said in his wrap up that the US would be dangerous if
they ever played up to their talent level.  For whatever reason, they
certainly didn't last year when I saw them live, and apparently did not
this year either--although not using all their available talent was part
of the problem this year.

I feel depressed about the US, but my dual citizenship still gives me a
personal interest in the tournament from a partizan perspective.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
GO CANADA!!!